Getting started. Assuming your business already has a Facebook page, log in with your username and password.
- The Questions tool works just like adding a status update. Locate the “Question” icon in the “Share” area above the “What’s on your mind?” box near the top of the page.
- Type in the question you want to ask your followers in the box where it says “Ask something …”
- Questions can be open-ended or multiple choice, but it’s usually best for participation to provide options for fans to choose. Click “Add Poll Options” to add possible answers to your question.
- Add one answer per box using as many “Add An Option” boxes as you want, but it’s best to limit it to around five or less. You can allow poll users to add more options by checking the “Allow anyone to add options” box, but that can also open up the possibility of someone adding offensive language or something else in poor taste.
- Finally, just click the blue “Ask Question” box and you’ll see how your survey will appear in your followers’ news feed pages. Fans can then select their answer from the choices you provided and it will keep a tally for you.
- You can also use the “Ask Friends” button at the bottom of your poll to extend a personal invitation to your followers rather than just hoping they’ll see it in their news feeds.
Business applications. There are countless ways your business could use the Facebook Questions tool to your advantage. Here are just a few ideas:
- Restaurants could ask about new menu items or what followers’ favorite dishes are
- Garden centers could ask what people are looking to plant this spring
- Clothing retailers could ask what you’ll be buying for back-to-school
- Give fans a voice on a new product name or logo
- Allow followers to decide what your next promotion should be
- Ask your fans what other products or services they’d like to see you carry
- Learn which charities your followers would like you to support.
Tips for asking questions. Once you’ve set up a survey and tried out Facebook Questions with your followers, you’ll see what a great business tool it can be. Engaging your fans and getting feedback from them has never been easier. But there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Always include the name of your business in the question in case it gets forwarded to a friend of a friend. That way everyone will know who is doing the asking.
- Ask a real question you’re curious about or could help your business in some way. Don’t just ask questions because you haven’t posted anything in a while. Have a real purpose in mind to make them more useful.
- Be careful not to over post. Once or twice a week is plenty so as to not overload the news feeds of your followers.
- Not all questions have to be business related. Don’t be afraid to have some fun with your questions. If you can find a way to mention something topical that is somehow connected to your business, it could be good for creating traffic.