Today’s always-on culture may pay off for retailers who send push notifications, especially those who target Millennials. Not only do Millennials rely heavily on their devices, they also use location-based apps more than any other generation and they are brand loyal. According to a recent survey by Retale, this is great news for small business.
The survey polled 500 Millennials and the results were as follows:
- 84 percent said they act on push notifications
- 89 percent admitted they’d take action if they received a notification from a favored brand
- 94 percent said they use location-based apps frequently
So, what types of information do they want to be notified about?
- 61 percent said coupons and discounts
- 61 percent want to know about customer rewards
- 35 percent stated product and sales information
- 35 percent want to hear about nearby locations and store hours
- 27 percent want to receive sales receipts
- 16 percent would like in-store guidance
When are push notifications not effective among Millennials?
- When the information pushed is not relevant – 39 percent
- When notifications are intrusive – 34 percent
- When there are too many – 25 percent
- When notifications are poorly timed – 11 percent
Elkin, Noah. “Getting Pushy with Notifications Can Pay Off with Millennials”. Streetfightmag.com. 10/26/2015.