It’s a good year for accountants and real estate agents, says Sageworks, an information company that collects the financials on privately held companies, and runs an annual profit-margins survey of small businesses by industry. Below, you can see the top 15 industries for the financial year ending last June.
- Net profit margins range from 10% to 18%.
- Service industries dominate the list.
- 5 of 15 are in medical fields.
- New to the list in 2016: warehouses and storage, businesses with low overhead and steady cash flow.
- Real estate sales and leasing profits are on the rise, fueled by higher home prices and rents.
- Accounting firms made the list for the third year in a row, with no end to taxes in sight.