In today’s fast-paced, always-on society, consumers are relying on their mobile devices more than ever. In fact, according to The Q1 2014 ScanLife Mobile Barcode Trend Report, mobile scans were up by 20 percent in Q1 2014 as compared to Q1 2013. The report conducted by ScanLife, a leading QR code generator, attempted to answer questions about the impact of mobile engagement on marketing. Following is a summary of their findings:
- Mobile activity is distributed evenly across age groups 25-55+
- Barcode scanning dominated by males at 62 percent versus 38 percent of female scanners
- 46 percent are running iPhone IOS while 51 percent are Android users
- Main reason for scanning in both Apple and Android users was value shopping
- Males ages 35-44 scan more on average than other groups
- Averages number of scans per user was 4
- Most scanned content was for product information, videos, CRM, app downloads, and mcommerce
- Top industries for scanned information were electronics, food & beverage, media, wireless, and entertainment
- Top cities for scanned content were Houston, New York City, Dallas, Madrid, and Barcelona
- Top UPC (universal product code) categories were grocery, health & beauty, books, toys & video games, and movies
- Most “liked” or favorite QR codes were for app downloads, product information, customer information, videos, and surveys
- Top countries scanning include the United Kingdom, the United States, Spain, France, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Canada, South Korea, and Denmark
MarketingCharts staff. “Age Distribution of Mobile Barcode Scanners in Q1 2014.” 5/27/14.
“Mobile Barcode Trend Report.” Scanlife.com.