Some people believe the idea of cold calling in the social media age is dead, but they couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, studies indicate that cold calling is still the most “direct and effective way to generate new business” according to experts. Studies indicate that much of the growth in sales is in cold calling, and companies that add inside sales in that area experience more growth. However, your salespeople need to know how to master the art of cold calling to be successful, and that is the most important aspect of any cold calling campaign. Here are four things that you have to include to ensure that your sales team brings in qualified prospects.
- Marketing leads. You need to provide your sales team with qualified leads that they can turn into customers. These leads may come from the company’s website, or from other sources, like social media, or the marketing department, but you have to have qualified leads to remain successful.
- Referrals from existing customers or friends. If you are the business owner, you need word of mouth or referrals from customers and friends. This is an essential way to increase your business, and an excellent way to provide leads to your salespeople.
- Networking. Joining local groups and using social networking is also a good way to increase your business presence and increase leads fro your salespeople.
- Networking: Joining leads and/or networking groups and/or using social networking sites/Web 2.0 resources.
- Cold calling. Cold calling is the only way to increase leads that is directly under your own control. With cold calling, you initiate the procedure, while the others are essentially out of your control, and you wait for someone else to take the action, and you have to wait for the results, which takes longer for an actual sale to result. When your salesperson makes a cold call, they target a company that you’re interested in doing business with, and then make a phone call and start the sales process rolling. Cold calling is a communication skill, and it must be targeted and strategic. If your salespeople are skilled, strategic, and targeted, your cold calling campaign will be a success, and your company will develop new sales leads that will help your business succeed.