Select an Account to Sign In

Thryv

Text & Email, Appointment Scheduling, Customer Database

MyDex Account

Pay Bills, View Reporting, Manage Your Listings

Social Media

Should Your Business Be on Instagram?

Should Your Business Be on Instagram?

By | 09.12.14
Should Your Business Be on Instagram?

I’ll confess: I’ve been surprised by how much I enjoy Instagram. I follow small businesses on it through our
Superpages profile, and it’s so interesting to see what types of businesses use it and what they share. The businesses I follow are varied. They include:

  • Restaurants
  • Charcuterie stores
  • Bakeries
  • Breweries
  • Boutiques
  • Hair salons
  • Nail salons
  • Framing stores
  • Farms
  • Farmers markets
  • Car repair shops
  • Home renovation companies
  • Inns

Just to name a few. I share this with you because you may think your business isn’t suited for Instagram, but all sorts of businesses are using Instagram in innovative ways. It’s definitely a platform worth considering.

If you’re interested in Instagram, but aren’t sure how to get started here’s a great infographic to help.

Instagram infographic

To clarify one point, when they suggest to post about your product 20%, this typically means actual sellable items or services. I wouldn’t describe the remaining 80% as “non-business” items though. Instead, think of this as photos related to your business, industry or community but not products per se. This could be of your employees, happy customers or other local businesses.

Personally, I do get a little bored if a retail business, for example, posts one photo after another of their products and little else. So you definitely don’t want to overdo it. And I always especially enjoy a glimpse behind the scenes. Some of the frame shops share photos of unusual frame jobs, like framing a soccer ball. It’s interesting to see the challenges businesses face.

The 80/20 split is a common piece of advice, but feel things out to determine the right split for you.

If your business is on Instagram, leave a link to your Instagram profile in the comments, and I’ll follow you!

Infographic via Self-Employed King

(Visited 101 times, 1 visits today)
Share on: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to LinkedIn
Comments

Like what you see?
Get more free content.

Next Up In Social Media

Respond to Negative Reviews Online in 6 Steps

When you get a negative review online, it can feel like the worst thing that’s ever happened to your...

Read More

[Podcast] How One Dog Trainer Fetches New Clients With Technology

The pet services industry is booming. People love their pets, and they’re willing to spend big bucks to prove...

Read More

Optimizing Social Media for Mobile: 8 Things You Need to Be Doing Now

It seems only natural to access social media through your mobile device, doesn’t it? Think about how many times...

Read More

Explore the Blog